Saturday, July 10, 2010

Toddler Behavior

I was a teacher for young children, I did my undergraduate thesis on behavior and transitions, my masters is in children psychology, I could not control my son at 15 months. One day I found him standing on the dining room table swatting at the crystal chandelier.

What is a mom to do???
I reached out at this point to all of my new mom friends and learned a few tips. But the best advice I received was to bye and read the book 1,2,3 Magic by Thomas W. Phelan. I have used this book in its form or my own modified form for the last 2 and a half years.

At first my son would not sit for the time outs. So I sat with him on my lap and crossed my arms over his for 1 minute. Eventually he sat for his timeouts. Now he sits in a rocker in his bedroom with an egg timer that he turns off when it beeps.

This has saved my sanity!

2 comments:

  1. Hi I am new to your blog! I too have years of experience in childcare, work as a Pediatric COTA/L and am going for my masters in Occupational Therapy. But sometimes when it comes to disciplining your own children you feel lost. I have a 15 month old and we use redirecting and time outs but sometimes it just doesn't seem to work. I'm going to look into that book you recommended. Thanks!

    Also check out my blog!
    http://myadventures-in-mommyland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. When it comes to your own child everything you ever learned goes out the window. It took my mom to remind me to try a sticker chart with my son, after being a teacher for ten years I should have thought of that first.

    ReplyDelete